This is an excerpt from the book Kanz al-Najāḥ wa as-Surūr (“The Treasures of Success and Happiness”), a book highlighting the special qualities of each month. As the blessed and holy month of Rajab enters, hopefully this information will be of use in allowing us all to appreciate it and benefit from it:
So, my dear friend, put forth a great effort in the month of Rajab, may Allāh have mercy on you. It is the season of great profits, so take advantage of your time! Whoever is spiritually sick due to their sins—the medicine has come.
- Know that Rajab is a virtuous month in which worship is gloriously rewarded—especially fasting and seeking repentance (istighfār).
- Also, making duʿāʾ during the first night of Rajab is highly recommended. The Prophet s said, “There are five nights in which duʿāʾ (supplication) is not rejected: the first night of Rajab, the 15th night of Shaʿbān, the eve of Friday, the eve of ʿĪd al-Fiṭr, and the eve of ʿĪd al-Aḍḥā.” [Al-Suyūṭī in his Al-Jāmiʿ].
- On the 27th night of Rajab, the Prophet s was taken on the Isrāʾ wa Miʿrāj (The Night Journey and Ascension to the Heavens). This was a great and glorious night, as is known to most Muslims, in which the Prophet s met his Lord u and was given the commandment to perform the 5 daily Prayers.
- Rajab is one of the four sacred months mentioned in the Qurʾān (the four months are : Rajab, Dhul Qiʿdah, Dhul Ḥijjah, and Muḥarram):
﴿إِنَّ عِدَّةَ ٱلشُّهُورِ عِندَ ٱللَّهِ ٱثْنَا عَشَرَ شَهْراً فِي كِتَابِ ٱللَّهِ يَوْمَ خَلَقَ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلأَرْضَ مِنْهَآ أَرْبَعَةٌ حُرُمٌ ﴾
“God decrees that there are twelve months—ordained in God’s Book on the Day when He created the heavens and earth—four months of which are sacred.” (9:36).
- Rajab is Allāh’s u month in which He pours His Mercy upon the penitent and He accepts the acts that are done for His sake. The Prophet s said, “Rajab is the month of Allāh, and Shaʿbān is my month, and Ramaḍān is the month of my Nation.” (Imām Al-Suyūṭī in Al-Jāmiʿ).
- Scholars say: Rajab is the month of repentance (istighfār), and Shaʿbān is the month of sending peace and mercy (ṣalawāt) upon the Prophet s, and Ramaḍān is the month of the Qurʾān.
- One highly recommended act to do is say 70 times after the ʿIshāʾ Prayer every night of Rajab:
رَبِّ اِغْفِرْ لي وارْحَمني وتُبْ عليَّ
Transliteration: “Rabbi ighfir lī wa arḥamnī wa tub ʿalayy.”
Translation: “My Lord: forgive me, have mercy upon me, and grant me repentance.”
- Our master ʿAlī g used to allocate extra worship on four nights in particular: the first night of Rajab, the eves of the two ʿĪds, and the 15th night of Shaʿbān.
- It is also highly recommended to say the following Prophetic prayer 3 times every morning and every evening in Rajab:
اللهّمَ أنتَ ربي، لا اله الا أنتَ خَلقْتَني وأنا عَبْدُكَ، وأنا على عَهْدِكَ و وَعْدِكَ ما اسْتَطَعْتُ، أعوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شَرِّ ما صَنَعْتُ، أبُوءُ لَكَ بِنعْمَتِكَ عليَّ وأبُوءُ بِذَنبي فَاغْفِرْلي فَإنَهُ لا يَغْفِرُ الذنوبَ الاّ أنْتَ
Transliteration: Allāhumma anta Rabbī lā ilāha illā anta, khalaqtanī wa anā ʿabduk, wa anā ʿalā ʿahdika wa waʿdika ma astaṭaʿt, ʿaūdhu bika min sharri mā ṣanaʿt, abūʾu laka bi niʿmatika ʿallaya wa abūʾu bi dhanbī, faghfir lī fa ʾinnahu lā yaghfiru al-dhunūba illā anta.
Translation: “O Allāh, you are my Lord, and there is no god but You. You created me and I am your servant, and I am upon Your covenant and pledge to the best of my ability. I seek refuge in You from the evil I have produced. I admit all the blessings You have given me and I admit my sins, so forgive me; for no one forgives sins save You.”
And all success is from Allāh and all praise belongs to Him.